Monday, September 21, 2009

I feel like baking...

I don't know what it is, but I have been in a baking mood. Actually, I know exactly what it is - it's the clock inside me that is telling me there should be aspen trees outside changing colors and there could be a chance of snow anytime now (which it did today in Colorado). It's the anxiety telling me it shouldn't be summer anymore. So, to help with the innate desire for it to be fall again, I have started baking. Laura came over last weekend and we made the best pumpkin cookies in the entire world...
(I have included the secret recipe at the end of the post)


and then we made chocolate molten cake for Top Chef Wednesday...
(This actually came out of a box from Williams-Sonoma. I wish I could take the credit)


and then as Greg and I were walking through the grocery store with decorative pumpkins galore, we decided that we HAD to change all plans for the afternoon and make a pumpkin pie...
(We made the crust from scratch and it's half whole wheat flour, so you can pretend it's good for you. And, sorry about the fuzzy photo. My camera was dying so I just took a quick little snapshot.)



Here's the pumpkin cookie recipe. My sister gave it to me and I have absolutely no idea where she got it, but it's delicious...

PUMPKIN COOKIES
2 cups of butter (room temperature)
2 cups of sugar
1 16-ounce can of pumpkin
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cups (or more) white chocolate chips
Cream butter and sugar. Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla; beat well. In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Add to batter and mix well. Stir in white chocolate chips. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on rack. Makes 7 dozen.

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is wow. That is a lot of baking. Impressive and yet so sad that I live so far away and can't enjoy it too. Though it did not snow here in F/C today it was rainy and cold. I love the cool fall weather for the same reason you do. The fall crisp air is one of the most refreshing things in the world but on the other hand my office has little to no insulation and the heaters cannot be turned on yet. So though I love the cool weather being cold all day was not that fun. It is supposed to be chilly again tomorrow. So as I am freezing at the office tomorrow I will think of you my little Texas friend. And send cold thoughts your way. I mean that in the nice way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, that crust is impressive...

    ReplyDelete