Monday, February 1, 2010

twig beans

Did you know that edamame means "twig bean" in Japanese? At least it does according to wikipedia.


As I was eating edamame at lunch this week and it made me wonder what kind of nutrients were in them. I always order them, but lately I want to know more about what I'm eating. I remember coming home at some point in college and my sister as the "cool California girl" had me try these little twig beans. I fell in love with them. I would buy them frozen at the grocery store and make them as a snack while I studied or watched TV (I probably did more of the latter.)

Hoping that I could say my lunch was oh so healthy, I googled (I love that "googled" is now an actual word in our vocabulary) the nutritional information. According to an RD at WebMD.com in just a half-cup serving of shelled edamame you can get:
  • 120 calories
  • 9 grams fiber
  • 2.5 grams fat
  • 1.5 grams polyunsaturated fat (0.3 grams plant omega-3 fatty acids)
  • 0.5 gram monounsaturated fat
  • 11 grams protein
  • 13 grams carbohydrate
  • 15 mg sodium
  • 10% of the Daily Value for vitamin C
  • 10% Daily Value for iron
  • 8% Daily Value for vitamin A
  • 4% Daily Value for calcium

9 grams of fiber is about the same amount you'll find in 4 slices of whole-wheat bread or 4 cups of steamed zucchini. It has almost as much protein as it does carbohydrate. It contains around 10% of the Daily Value for two key antioxidants; vitamins C and A. And for a plant food, it's quite high in iron; it has about as much as a 4-ounce roasted chicken breast.

A great little boost to any day.


{photo from here}

2 comments:

  1. I love edamame. (By the way, you should ask Jason to say "edamame" because he can't and it's kind of funny.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just recently had them for the first time and loved their salty fury exterior : )

    ReplyDelete